Last weekend, I had the pleasure of being a member of the event team at WordCamp Lancaster.
Some of my duties included:
- Helping at the Happiness Bar (A help desk for anyone needing assistance with their WordPress sites.)
- General help for attendees throughout the day.
- Random tasks as assigned by Rami Abraham and Lauren Pittenger.
- Event breakdown.
In between my volunteer duties, I had the opportunity to meet new people and reconnect with friends from WordCamp US in December. I even got the chance to catch up with someone that I met at Content Camp + PodCamp Philly 2015. It was definitely a weekend of conference reunions.
I did not get to see all of the presenters that were speaking on topics that I was interested in learning more about but I was very pleased to see bits and pieces of talks given by:
- Nicole Kohler – Common Misconceptions About Content Marketing
(I did have the opportunity to have an in depth conversation on content with her afterwards.)
- Sal Ferrarello – How to Avoid Mucking Up Your DNS
- Joe Casabona – Have Empathy when Teaching WordPress
I had the opportunity to see talks in their entirety given by:
- Brad Parbs – Learn to Love the Terminal (Writing scripts & using tools for a fun and efficient developer experience)
- Liam Dempsey – Outgoing on Command
I would definitely attend WordCamp Lancaster again and if the opportunity is available, I would volunteer too. I loved meeting so many new people, and keeping tabs on established connections, and all of the learning opportunities.
The biggest takeaway from WordCamp Lancaster? Realizing that no one knows everything and that I happen to know more about stuff than I thought I did. It really got me thinking about different ways that I could help others in the future. I know that I still have a lot to learn and it’s going to take time.